As the beautiful fall season rolls around, I crave soup. It’s the perfect comfort food and can be made easily (most of the time!) and kept as healthy as you want. I love Broccoli Cheddar Soup but most are so laden with cream and cheese that they end up being too rich and heavy. On top of that, they are also packed with calories and filled with fat. I found this recipe for a healthier Broccoli Cheddar Soup on The Picky Eater Blog (link), which I adore! The Picky Eater Blog is a blog centered around flavorful and delicious healthy eating. The recipes are filled with good, whole foods and spices that create wonderful and satisfying meals.
Adding in that ooey gooey cheese….
This recipe in particular interested me because its’ base is broth rather than cream. That right there cuts back on the calories and fat. It has enough cheese in it to flavor the soup, but doesn’t go overboard. I considered skipping the addition of half-and-half but it was so little and did a lot to make the texture of the soup creamy. The important thing to note is that you need to make sure you blend the soup very well. If you do not, you get a thick baby food-like texture. All in all, this soup was easy to make, very good and extremely healthy. It’s filled with tons of broccoli so you are getting a big dose of fiber and vitamin C – great for this time of year!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 diced yellow onion, small to medium-sized
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 + 1/8 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine all ingredients above the half-and-half in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until everything is tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add ingredients in pot into a blender and blender until desired consistency is achieved. You may need to do this in batches. Make sure to secure blender lid but keep the hole on top of lid open to release steam.
- Pour back into pot and add in half-and-half and most of the cheese. Separate into four bowls and top with remainder of cheese. Serve and enjoy!