I want to preface this by saying that I wanted to call this Pad Thai but I opted not to because since it doesn’t contain tamarind or some of the required ingredients to be considered traditional Pad Thai. It does however bear similarities with the overlapping ingredients, so it reminded me of a healthier version of my personal favorite take out dish!
But what are Adzuki beans noodles (link) you might ask? I had never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago when a co-worker trying a low carb diet brought me some to experiment with. After carefully examining them, they seemed to have a dry texture of similar noodles, like rice noodles, brown rice noodles, egg noodles, etc. They contain almost no carbs and each serving has 20 grams of protein because they are made of beans. So with only slight reservations, I decided to make a Pad Thai-esque dish with them.
This simple dish can be whipped up with only a couple of ingredients and as always, you can add or take away items based on what your preferences are and what you have lying around. With the combined protein of the noodles and the egg, the dish will keep you feeling full for hours. These “Pad Thai” noodles would take longer to order out and have delivered than to whip up yourself!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 pack of Organic Adzuki Bean Spaghetti Shape noodles (link)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4 carrots, spiralized
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1-2 oz. crushed peanuts
- 1.5 tsp sesame seeds
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek (or any other hot sauce/chili paste)
- For sauce, mix all ingredients, starting with the juice of the lime and ending with the sambal oelek. Set aside
- Bring water to boil in pot. Once water is at a rolling boil, add adzuki bean noodles in and stir. Let cook for 5-6 minutes, checking on them to make sure they don’t overcook.
- In a saute pan, heat coconut oil. While coconut oil is heating, scramble eggs in a bowl and pour into sauce pan once oil is heated. Scramble eggs and set aside.
- Spiralize carrots, chop scallions into thin slices and crush peanuts and set aside.
- Once noodles are down, strain them, separate them into four bowls and top with ingredients and sauce. Enjoy immediately!